home

 

Photo Search:
Advanced Search
Welcome Guest [Login | Register]


Image Category

 
Our Favorites
 
Information
Products: 8467
Categories: 328
Prices: US Dollars
 
 
Douglas X-3 RSS

Douglas X-3
Images in: /Aviation/Test Aircraft "X-Planes"/Douglas X-3

Image Description  
Douglas Airplanes at Edwards Air Force Base Douglas Airplanes at Edwards Air Force Base
A group picture of Douglas Airplanes, taken for a photographic promotion in 1954, at what is now known as the Dryden Flight Research Center at Edwards Air Force Base, California. The photo includes the X-3 (in front--Air Force serial number 49-2892) then clockwise D-558-1, XF4D-1 (a Navy jet fighter prototype not flown by the NACA), and the first D-558-2 (NACA tail number 143, Navy serial number 37973), which was flown only once by the NACA.
 
 
More
Douglas research aircraft at the NACA High-Speed Flight Research Station Douglas research aircraft at the NACA High-Speed Flight Research Station
A 1953 photo of some of the research aircraft at the NACA High-Speed Flight Research Station (now known as the the Dryden Flight Research Center). The photo shows the X-3 (center) and, clockwise from left: X-1A (Air Force serial number 48-1384), the third D-558-1 (NACA tail number 142), XF-92A, X-5, D-558-2, and X-4.
 
 
More
Douglas X-3 Stiletto aircraft Douglas X-3 Stiletto aircraft
The X-3 Stiletto was a single-place jet aircraft with a slender fuselage and a long tapered nose, manufactured by the Douglas Aircraft Company. The X-3's primary mission was to investigate the design features of an aircraft suitable for sustained supersonic speeds, which included the first use of titanium in major airframe components. It was delivered to the NACA High-Speed Flight Station in August of 1954 after some Douglas and Air Force evaluation testing.
 
 
More
Douglas X-3 Stiletto aircraft Douglas X-3 Stiletto aircraft
 X-3 Stiletto is viewed from above and looking at the left side. The X-3 Stiletto was a single-place jet aircraft with a slender fuselage and a long tapered nose, manufactured by the Douglas Aircraft Company.  The X-3's primary mission was to investigate the design features of an aircraft suitable for sustained supersonic speeds, which included the first use of titanium in major airframe components. It was delivered to the NACA High-Speed Flight Station in August of 1954 after some Douglas and Air Force evaluation testing.
 
 
More
Douglas X-3 Stiletto on lakebed Douglas X-3 Stiletto on lakebed
The X-3 Stiletto is seen illuminated by sunlight off the lakebed at Edwards Air Force Base. This photograph illustrates why, of all the early NACA test aircraft, the X-3 was called the "best looking of the lot." The X-3 Stiletto was a single-place jet aircraft with a slender fuselage and a long tapered nose, manufactured by the Douglas Aircraft Company.
 
 
More
X-3 Stiletto after supersonic test run X-3 Stiletto after supersonic test run
 X-3 Stiletto illustrates the aircraft’s long slender fuselage and the small wings. The X-3 Stiletto was a single-place jet-powered research aircraft manufactured by the Douglas Aircraft Company.    The X-3's primary mission was to investigate the design features of an aircraft suitable for sustained supersonic speeds, which included the first use of titanium in major airframe components. It was delivered to the NACA High-Speed Flight Station in August of 1954 after some Douglas and Air Force evaluation testing.
 
 
More
X-3 Stiletto on lakebed, Edwards Air Force Base X-3 Stiletto on lakebed, Edwards Air Force Base
X-3 Stiletto is seen on the lakebed at Edwards Air Force Base. The X-3 Stiletto was a single-place jet aircraft with a slender fuselage and a long tapered nose, manufactured by the Douglas Aircraft Company.
 
 
More
X-3 Stiletto research aircraft, Edwards AFB X-3 Stiletto research aircraft, Edwards AFB
X-3 Stiletto research aircraft on the ramp at Edwards Air Force Base in 1954. The X-3 Stiletto was a single-place jet aircraft with a slender fuselage and a long tapered nose, manufactured by the Douglas Aircraft Company. The X-3's primary mission was to investigate the design features of an aircraft suitable for sustained supersonic speeds, which included the first use of titanium in major airframe components. It was delivered to the NACA High-Speed Flight Station in August of 1954 after some Douglas and Air Force evaluation testing.
 
 
More
X-3 Stiletto towed to NACA hangar at Edwards AFB X-3 Stiletto towed to NACA hangar at Edwards AFB
the X-3 Stiletto is seen being towed behind the NACA hangar (located on Edwards Air Force base) towards the lakebed. The X-3 Stiletto was a single-place jet aircraft with a slender fuselage and a long tapered nose, manufactured by the Douglas Aircraft Company.
 
 
More

About Us | Contact Us | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | Methods of Payment | Copyright & Trademark | Our Guarantee | RSS Feeds
This site and all contents are protected by international copyright law.

© Copyright 2011 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Owens Archive/RKO Photos
66 Viaduct Road Stamford, CT 06820 (203)979-0081
info@owensarchive.com
commodo safe

Cart Modifications and Skin Tweaks by CC3.biz

cubecart mods and skins at CC3.biz   cubecart mods and skins at CC3.biz